Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Plastic News

Had some health issues over the week-end and didn't get a chance to write a post for Monday. I'll be okay, but I'm going to take it easy this week and won't be posting on Thursday.

Today is an easy post.

As some of you may know, I really hate plastic. We are killing ourselves and the animal life on our planet with our over abundant use of it.
Såvaedje distcheyaedje Ayin Tekki
For a look at some plastic pollution, please check out these pictures HERE. Become disgusted, become angry.

I encourage, beg, plead everyone to reduce the amount of plastic you bring into your home. Become aware and recycle everything you can. Start collecting reusable bags to take with you when you go to the store. It doesn't take that long to get into the habit of using them.

Is there hope?

On September 30th California became the first state to ban the use of plastic bags in grocery stores and large retailers. The story is HERE. The Netherlands have banned the use of plastic bags, but the dang things can still be found in their recycling plants.

Then there's Boyan Slat,  a Dutch kid from Delft, who has ambitious plans for cleaning up the oceans. Leave it to a Dutchman to figure out a way. He has put off getting his degree in aerospace engineering and his personal life to pursue this issue, which has become his passion.

Please take the time to watch 17 minute film.



Do you recycle? If you don't, why not? Do you use reusable bags? If you don't, why not? How do you reduce the amount of plastic you bring into your home? If you don't, why not?

16 comments:

  1. Oh, Bish, I am WITH you! I hate plastic too. I use reusable shopping bags and I don't buy bottled water. When I do purchase hummus or something in a plastic container, I wash and keep the container and use them as Tupperware. I recycle everything I possibly can.

    The damage we are doing to our earth is horrifying - from plastic and garbage to pesticide use and the toxins in our food. I'm glad that you wrote about it. It amazes me that people seem to lack concern for all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit we buy bottled water, but we recycle everything.
    I wonder how many other states will enact that law now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to see my home state outlaw the plastic bags! It really is a problem. I recycle everything (to the point of annoying my husband because I'm rather obsessive about it), but some days it feels like quite an uphill battle in the wilds of Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We recycle. Always have.

    We use our plastic bags for scooping cat litter. Not sure how we'd do it with paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Suzanne! We are eliminating plastic wrap and moving into waxpaper. You know it works just as well for wrapping a block of cheese. As for hummus, have you considered making your own? It's just ground up garbanzo beans with a little seasoning.... :)

    Alex, To get rid of the the bottled water we got ourselves a good kitchen sink filter. We're very happy with it. That's all you need. Ditch the bottled water.

    I hear you Meradeth. It would be wonderful if Texas banned them!

    Wax paper might work, Diane. Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do recycle plastic bags, but it makes me sad every time I seem the amount of bags and bottles in our drains and gullies and our people don't seem to care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do recycle, though not as stringently as when we were in NYC. Unfortunately it's difficult to figure out where to take some recyclable materials.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Bish. We stopped buying the individual bottles of water for use at home. We use refillable water bottles instead. We also use reusable grocery bags. (I'll admit that we do forget to take them to the store with us at times.) Our grocery stores also have bins to collect the plastic bags for recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our recycle company only takes certain items, but we're pretty good at figuring out most things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use plastic bags for garbage and other uses. Its always great to recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't use plastic wrap, and we buy very little bottled water. Fortunately, recycling has been going on here for a long time. I also have to cop to using plastic store bags for cat litter, but when we shop at a store that offers paper instead, we ask for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dad always aid that plastic was a curse on the earth. I agree. We use our cloth bags at the store. I wish all states would ban plastic grocery bags. They make me nauseous! What a fab post and a wonderful guy that kid, Boyan is! He's SUPER MAN to me. What a guy! Thanks for showing him to us, Bish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bish - what an excellent post and as Robyn says Boyan Slat is an amazing kid ... and obviously very bright.

    I need to return to watch the video - will do ...

    Hate plastic - I'm pretty good at recycling, not using plastic, but not perfect ... I will do better -

    Thanks for highlighting this for us - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Bish - I've watched and what an amazing young man .. and incredible that he's achieved so much ..

    I'll add your link to my recent Sustainable Fishing post, and to a couple of others related to ocean plastic and care ...

    Excellent post .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you have poked the bees nest. Nice News Bish. -Ro

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!